Thursday, December 27, 2007

A little quiet time...

I am sitting writing this in a lovely quiet house - John is at work and kids are asleep.

The one thing I notice about holidays is that I never seem to get "me" time. Everyone is home and wanting things - I can't even go to the shops by myself. It seems very strange to be in Melbourne - usually on Boxing Day we head to Lake Mulwala for a couple of weeks. Now I have 3 teenagers who don't want to go there (no broadband internet!!) so John and I will go by ourselves for a few days before I go back to work.


Christmas Day was great - the kids loved their presents. Sean got a 20" flat computer monitor, Bec got a Ninendo DS and Emi a new MP3 player and other bits and pieces. Pancakes for breakfast then off to my mother's for lunch. As usual we had a seafood entree, turkey and trimmings and finished with a huge pudding made to my grandmothers handwritten recipe. There were 16 of us - my family and the Maskreys (who are near enough to family!) - and the day was filled with fun and laughter. I missed my father not being there but we gained Ben. Tom was very frail but was able to be with us. My mother did an amazing job - she does the majority of the work. No wonder she was tired at the end of the day!



I am thankful for a family that can enjoy being together.

Boxing day sales - that's a whole other topic (now I know why I don't like being in Melbourne...lol)

Not many days of 2007 left now.

Karen.




2 comments:

wendy treseder said...

Hi Karen,

Looks like you had a wonderful Christmas day. Even though it's a lot of work it's great having lots of family and friends around at this special time of year.

A few days away by yourselves sounds like magic. Just what the doctor ordered, yes?
Take care
Wx

Amy Bland said...

That handwritten secret xmas pudding recipie sounds yummo!
Glad you had a good chrissy!
Luv Aim x